Sunday 25 March 2012

Ghostwriter to Partner: The Writer Behind the Curtain

The definition for a ghostwriter is:
"...a writer who writes books, articles, stories, reports, or other texts that are officially credited to another person." -Wikipedia

You've most likely seen some of my work on web portals, blogs, and other informational online sources without even knowing I wrote it. Many freelance writers spend a lot of time producing work that never bears their name. It's a fun and interesting way to gain experience writing professionally. I have written hundreds of articles that have helped me hone my skills and pay a bill here or there.

Dawn's "office"
When I proposed helping David turn his incredible life story into a moving testimonial memoir, I envisioned my role as,at most, ghostwriter; the lady behind the curtain, if you will. As you can see, the curtain has been drawn back and I am a named, visible writing partner on One Way to Grace. How did that happen?

David wanted to be open and honest about the creation of this book. He expressed to me that by taking my name off of the project, he would be ignoring the contributions I've made. I told him the only recognition I needed was the knowledge that his story was being shared with you all. But, he's the boss! He put his foot down on the matter and I went from the unseen ghostwriter to a co-writer.

My Role


So, you may ask this question--- If this is David's memoir, his life story, why does he need a writing partner?

After expressing to David the real potential I saw in his story, I sent him a small proposal containing some of my ideas for the look, feel, and overall message of the memoir. As a friend, I wanted him to have a good running head start on the project. In my head, the proposal could get him fired up about his ability to reach out to people. Maybe he could use me as a consultant, a small service I've provided to one or two other writers. I didn't want David's money, never wanted to charge him a fee for the help I could provide. I saw the impact David could make by telling his story, and wanted to be a part of all that good in any way possible.

David took one look at the proposal and emailed me back that he would need more than the occasional proofread or consultation. His storytelling skills are impressive; I could listen to him talk for hours. What he was unsure of was his ability to transform his stories into a readable memoir, into a work of art that can best share the beautiful message of faith and redemption his life represents. He saw my vision for the work, saw how many people my words and his story could touch.


My Words, David's Story



Next, I explained to David about the ghostwriting process. It would take a while, but through a series of conversations and pointed interviews, I was sure I could absorb the details of his life and reproduce them in a compelling manner. All of the elements of a page-turning plot are right there in the timeline of David's life. A writer couldn't have constructed a better main character. To truly capture the tension of Northern Ireland in the 1970's, the desperation of alcoholism, the struggle of a broken marriage, and the eventual surrender to Christ...this was a challenge and privilege to take on. I was thrilled to become David's ghostwriter.

Then, one day David and I were talking about publishers and book promotion. I brought up how he would need to get to know his readers. (Hi, readers!) To this point he said:
"Yeah, but you'll be there with me, so it'll be fine."

I was silent for a couple seconds. I said I was the ghostwriter, you can't see ghosts. That's what makes them ghosts. The readers won't know who I am, won't know I wrote a word of the book. It's David's memoir, after all. Plenty of memoirs are written with a ghostwriter. Celebrities and businessmen do it all the time. Nothing wrong with it. David was not happy with that arrangement. And, like I said earlier...he's the boss. So, now my name will be on the cover with his. I'll be a credited writer.
Super cool, if you ask me, and very unexpected. It's been an honor to work on this project, it'll be an honor to stand beside David as the world gets to know his life story.

That's how I went from ghostwriter to partner, how the curtain got pulled back, how a hopeful agnostic from the U.S. wound up co-writing the memoir of a born-again Christian man from the U.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment