Tuesday 3 April 2012

Discovering Scripture

Before we begin the interview process for a new chapter, David and I spend time discussing a piece of Scripture that sets the tone and alludes to the lessons in the life events we're going to be focusing on. It has been very educational for me, as someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with the Bible or Christianity.

This allows me to see these Passages through David's pious eyes. If I simply sat back and allowed David to assign the Scripture with no discussion, I do not think I could ever fully grasp his voice in the writing. By clearly identifying our intention with the chapter and then spending time dissecting applicable Bible passages, I get a deeper understanding of the parables inherent to Christian life. I may not belong to this religion, but I can definitely benefit from these lessons.

Forgiveness, accountability, optimism, strength. 
These are the attributes the Bible encourages.
Sure, there are controversial elements that some disagree with. Most of these are secondary, however, and relate more to the time in which God's words were recorded than the core of the religion.

A ten minute conversation with someone as fired up about his faith as David is will make it clear that true Belief is a joyous, peaceful thing- not hateful or judgmental.

Matthew 11:28-30 KJV illustrates this wonderfully:

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I'm grateful to have learned that.


No comments:

Post a Comment